Meetings

From Imperial College Robotics Society
Jump to: navigation, search


For Spring term, meetings are held every Monday evening at 6pm in the ICRS Base.

The format is as follows:

  • Each person goes over any progress from the past week
  • Meeting then follows the agenda
  • Any other business, not on the agenda, discussed at the end

23rd November 2012, 13pm

Agenda

  • Update on Plan for 2012-2013
  • Events
    • Xmas Dinner
  • Hackday Buffer needs to be updated more
  • Lab
    • Current status of lab equipment list
    • Shadow Board
  • Sponsorship
    • ARM
    • EEE
    • DoC

31st October 2012, 12pm

Agenda

  • EEE Admissions afternoons: touring L5 labs
  • Other events by ICRS this term
  • Eurobot
  • Other projects
  • Courses
  • Access to ideas labs
  • Ways to keep the labs tidy - tags, recycle bins, ...

17th October 2012, 12pm

Agenda

  • Robotics 101 Course tickets
    • Problem with Union server (it sold 40 instead of 20)
    • Possible solution to run groups of 2
    • Other alternative to refund the 20 last people (according to time of purchase)
  • BBQ
    • Arrangement of people in time-slot to help with preparations

9th October 2012, 12pm

Agenda

  • Tweenbot
    • 1:00 - 1:30 Talks (Racing Green, Eurobot, courses)
    • 1:30 - 3:00 Tweenbot
    • 3:00 - 4:30 Hyde Park
  • Megabyte talk
    • 16 Oct 2012
    • EEE LT 408 at 6pm
    • Sandwiches 7:30pm
  • BBQ
    • 18 Oct 2012
    • Membership required (one free beer to each member)
    • Tom, George, Chris to help with setup
  • Courses
    • Tickets: Mon at 12 noun, Tue at 1pm from Union store online
    • C++ for beginners every Friday
    • CAD course: Tuesdays 7-9pm
    • Robotics 101: Mondays
  • Eurobot 2013 Contest
    • Form 3-4 sub-divisions (Software, Hardware, etc...)

1st October 2012, 12pm

Agenda

  • Freshers Fair
  • new labs
  • Courses
  • BBQ
  • icrobotics.co.uk
    • setup on google apps, temporary password = icrs2012
    • forward emails to your account

28th July 2012, 2pm

Agenda

  • Description of first few events of the new year
    • Freshers fair
    • Tweenbot
    • BBQ
    • 1st megabyte talk
  • Lab equipment
  • Project managers
  • Course confirmation and assistant volanters
    • Robotics 101
    • ROS
    • Programming
    • Oskar?
    • Arduino?
  • Any last business

21st June 2012, 6.15pm

Agenda

  • Engineering Open Day (Marquee & EEE Lv 5)
  • Hackathon update
  • Competitions (Eurobot, maybe RoboCup@Rescue? )
  • Projects update
  • Planning of next academic year 2012-13
    • Making a concrete budget
    • Courses - must begin planning sylbauses over summer
  • Sustainable funding
  • ICRS Alumni
  • BBQ

22nd May 2012, 12pm

Agenda

  • ARM BBQ
  • Courses
    • Teachers
    • When? Evening afternoons?
  • Hackathon
  • Year structure and themes
  • Fresher Event (Tweenbots) and Fair.


Summary

  • ARM BBQ
    • Host preferably Tuesday 19th June afternoon.
    • Try and get Physics balcony
    • Failing that use Princes Gardens
    • Ask union where to get BBQ food, presumably Tescos - Aksat
  • Courses
    • About £10 per course
    • Everyone willing to help be assistants at least
    • Each given twice a year, once in summer and then again in spring
    • Host in evenings and try and keep them relatively short sessions
    • Robotics 101
      • Ask ARM to donate 20 Mbeds - Josh
      • Don't allow students to keep robots
    • Arduino
      • Need to find leader
      • Could possibly allow students to keep robots
    • Oskars Course on Advanced Robotics of Awesomeness
    • Programming
      • Need to find leader
    • Mobile
      • Talk to mobile development society starting up next year - Heng
  • Hackathon
    • 21st of June to 29th of June
    • Several projects each with own leader and meeting to discuss details
      • Reprap mendle max
      • Quadcopter
  • Year Structure
    • Courses run in both summer and spring
    • Themes decided adhoc by Oskar for hacking Wednesdays
      • Flying
      • Lego
      • Racing
  • Freshers Event
    • Stay with Tweenbot theme
    • Organise later through email and those already at uni
  • Finance
    • ~£1300 currently left for this year
    • Next year £6000 to £11000 depending on John Lever Memorial Award (budget planned assuming we don't win)
      • Courses ~£1500
      • Eurobot ~£1000
      • Events ~£750
      • Tweenbot/freshers fair ~£100
      • Reprap plastic ~£300
      • Lab/tools ~£200
      • Projects/components ~£2500-£3000

27th February 2012, 6pm

Agenda

  • Choose a project to make it fully functioning
  • Progress on the Beginners' Box (TM)
  • mbed workshop
  • Megabyte Talks
  • Updates on Progress for various things
  • New Committee Meal
  • Passing Over of Duties

AGM - 22th February 2012, 1pm

(incomplete)

  • Overview of this year
    • Projects
      • Eurobot
        • One of the reasons that Society was founded
        • Great success last year
      • UAV, IARC, quadcopter
      • RepRap, our 3D printer
      • Other smaller projects (little hacks)
        • RFID, Large LED Screen, (expecting 12 more panels)
    • Education
        • 4 very successful courses
        • will be further improved next after the feeback we received
    • Events
      • Megabyte Talks
        • Really successful
        • Chance for to include more people in the Society
    • Finances
      • Doing great
      • Funding from Company take ages
      • Money from Departments are an immediate source
      • We might ask companies other things than money (eg mbed's)
    • Society provided fun!
    • Future
      • More funding
      • Better organisation
      • Passion and enthusiasm for Robotics
      • Find more people to help with projects
      • In need of a finalised/working project!
        • Greatest weakness of the Society
        • Dr Pike offered to sponsor such a project
      • Target Physics & MechEng Depts next year
  • Elections 2012
    • There was at least one candidate for every position
    • High turnout, a lot of people attended
    • 2012 Committee

20th February 2012, 6pm

Agenda

  • Book for people to sign if they use our stuff for non ICRS work
  • Progress on getting a Megabyte Talk underway
  • Progress on the Beginners' Box (TM)
  • mbed workshop
  • Eurobot/Quadcopter updates

13th February 2012, 6pm

Agenda

  • Elections - AGM
  • Megabyte Talks
  • ARM Workshop
  • Sponsorship - any updates
  • Arrangements for the smooth transition to next year committee
    • Graduating members to pass knowledge, files etc...
    • New Committee members to attend Committee meetings shortly after Elections
  • Courses Updates
  • Projects Updates

Minutes

  • Elections - AGM
    • Postponed for 13:00-15:00 Wed, 22nd Feb 2012
    • Better preparation, organisation
    • 12 nominees-candidates
    • Re-opening nominations was considered as an option
    • Time arrangements for people attending Android course to attend AGM
  • Policy for non-Imperial people
    • Students or other people should always be accompanied by an ICRS member
    • Megabyte events are the only event open to everyone
  • ARM Workshop
    • On 7th March 2012
    • Strictly for ICRS members - impose non-member to join ICRS
    • Places for about 50 people
  • Sponsorship
    • Everything seems to be going well
    • Conflicts between the Union and ARM for signing some paperwork
  • Eurobot
    • About 7 new members (2 MechEng, 1 DoC, 4 EEE)
  • Android course
    • Progressing very well
    • Moved to a new more convenient room, Room 509 (EEE)
  • Beginners' Box
    • In beta phase
    • Now costs £40, but price will be decreased if import components from abroad (e.g. China)
    • Ask volunteers to test it
    • Manuals are already live on wiki
  • Storage problem persists
    • Nobody is using the "laser room", Room 503
    • EEE Departmental Student-Stuff committee suggested to renovate room
    • Newly elected Lab Manager to take full responsibility for all labs and potentially new storage space
  • Important Deadline on May!
    • Room bookings for the entire academic year to be made from May onwards
    • Crucial for our courses, events to make immediate bookings as soon as room bookings start
  • High demand for wood in the Society
    • Suggestion to purchase part of it from EEE Store
    • Storage space does not let the Society to buy it in larger quantities

30th January 2012, 6pm

Agenda

  • Committee Positions for the Elections
  • Draft Budget
  • Maker Faire
  • First Android Course Lesson Report
  • Cinema Trip
  • Eurobot email response

Minutes

  • Committee Positions for the 2012 Elections
    • President
    • Treasurer
    • Secretary
    • Events Officers (x2)
    • Maker Faire Officer (preparing Imperial College Maker Faire with other societies)
    • Education Officer
    • Webmaster
    • Projects Officer
    • Sponsorships Coordinators (x2)
    • Lab Manager (security of expensive tools)
    • Publicity Officer
    • Total: 13 officers
  • Draft of the Form for Grant - No objections
  • Android OS course
    • Great Success, 9 additional members as instructors
    • Participate in IC competition for Android app
  • Cinema Trip went great, can be repeated
  • Eurobot Competition
    • 8 applications for new members (mainly from EEE)
    • email needs to be send in MechEng, targeting students competent in Mechatronics
  • RepRap in finally fixed and back to printing!
  • Great discovery of Coca-Cola billboard
    • Oscar arranged the acquisition of it along with a Maintenance Manual
    • To be put on Level 5 labs window, make ICRS mark in EEE building

23rd January 2012, 6pm

Minutes

  • 23 T-shirts ordered (ETA 2 weeks)
  • An other person to run Arduino course
  • Tuan is involved with Android course
  • Events
    • Elections
      • Nominations open on 1 Feb
      • Actual elections held on 15 Feb
      • Find a Returning officer
      • Major event (AGM) with fun, food, t-shirts
      • Forum, discussion-feedback
      • Increase the number of Committee officers (more Events officers, etc...)
    • mbed event (Hamza)
    • Cinema Trip
    • IC Maker Faire/Exhibition Day/Update
      • Similar to Freshers' Fair
      • Invite more Societies (Software Club, Racing Green)
      • Maybe postpone the event for next year
      • Organize something smaller this year
  • Grant from Union for our members
    • Deadline: 5 Feb
    • Achieved 126 members, goal was set to 50 (success 252%)
    • £650
  • Run courses/projects in two speeds (Beginners & Experienced)
  • Keep the Society open to everyone
  • RepRap almost working
  • Find ways to attract more experienced members
  • Recruit more people for Eurobot
  • Current final-year students to pass their experience to non-final students

16th January 2012, 6pm

Agenda

  • Regular Meetings (every week)
  • T-shirts
  • Projects: Eurobot
  • Courses:
    • another Arduino course?
    • Android programming course
    • Robotics 101 conclusions
  • Events:
    • Talk on Surgical Robotics: 31st Jan
    • Kinetica Artfair: 9-12 Feb
    • Elections: Mid-February
    • ARM BBQ

Minutes

  • Recap for last term (Autumn term)
    • Four high-quality Megabyte Talks
    • Robotic courses and Projects
    • Reached 119 paid members in Union website [1]
    • This term: ICRS should become more social, fun, ...
  • Events
    • Medical Robotics: 31 Jan
    • Definitely an mbed workshop/robot-racing, due to ARM funding (see below)
    • Kinetica: 9-12 Feb, similar to but better than Maker Faire
    • NO events/courses during last week of terms
    • Barbecue event towards the end of term (need for warm weather)
    • Two talks/major events per term are enough
  • Finances
    • ARM contribution in one month: £3000
    • More transparent finances
    • Updates in every meeting and in wiki
  • Elections - AGM
    • to be held mid-February
    • be more like an event/party, to bring more members
  • Courses
    • Don't give away any hardware (keep and reuse them)
    • Restrict members to be restricted up to one or two courses
    • Courses to be split between Beginners and Advanced/Experienced
    • Beginners Courses (proposed)
      • To be used to get new and inexperienced members started
      • Programming course
      • Electronics course
      • Both courses could be online
      • Instructors would be available to help in ICRS Base
    • Advanced Courses
      • Electronics/Robotics basics as a prerequisite
      • Previous programming knowledge required
      • FPGA course (maybe funded by a company)
      • Android ROS course
      • ARM Arduino 101 (course reorganized, simpler syllabus)
  • Beginner's box/Welcome pack
    • Comes with the £5 membership
    • Includes T-shirt with our logo
    • Also includes a flashing LED pin/throw-magnets that needs soldering
    • Instruction to construct to be easily available
    • Info about Courses/projects, links on our wiki, etc...
  • Projects
    • Eurobot (need for more members)
    • RepRaps need to be fixed
  • T-shirts (will receive them after form is sent)
  • Make a Grant Application from ICU
    • Justified by the number of our members
    • Deadline: Feb
    • Next year estimate: more than 150 members or so
  • Proposal to P. Cheung
    • Fight For The Laser Lab
    • Ask for more space in the labs
    • Space in the Laser room might not be available anymore
    • Maybe rename the labs to "Robotics Society-3rd/4th year labs"
    • No email spamming, only one email to be sent
    • Spreadsheet with data of how many people visit the labs and when (rough estimates)
    • Compose a document with the benefits of the members and EEE from ICRS
  • Website-wiki
    • Problems experienced due to the migration to Union site
    • New form in wiki for non-Imperial members to sign-up to events (linked to Google docs)
  • Getting EEE Card Access process already exists
    • Links/banners should look prettier to make more people visit
  • Wiki to be used for committee members coordination
  • Meetings will be held every Monday, 6pm

17th November 2011, 1pm

Agenda

  • Finances
    • Has anyone received money yet?
  • Megabyte Talks
    • What's the for this term
    • Next term?
  • Courses
    • Robotics 101
    • Arduino Course
    • PCB 101
  • Projects
    • UAV
    • Quadcopter
  • Eurobot
    • Plan for the rest of the term
  • Sponsorship
    • Start-up Robotics Company
    • OC Trust
    • ARM
    • ABB Robotics
  • Christmas Dinner

Minutes

  • Finances
    • Received £2000 from EEE and £2000 from DoC
      • However VAT has been deducted: £40000/1.2 = £3333.33
      • Zheng Shuang is working on getting the VAT back
      • Needs a letter from the departments saying that they don't want anything in return for the money (i.e. it is a donation)
    • There is now a Finances wiki page
      • Should increase our financial transparency
    • Sponsorship is still progressing slowly
      • Hamza - OC Trust
      • Harry - ARM
      • Oskar - ABB
      • There's a domestic robotics startup company who's interested in sponsoring us.
  • Megabyte Talks
    • IBM Talk 6th December - How does Watson work?
    • 3D Printed Aircraft talk - 13th December
    • More planned for next term, but not confirmed
    • No ICRS event for robotics week yet
  • Courses
    • Robotics 101
      • Competitions not working due to slow progress
      • Music is always enjoyed
      • CAD workshop being delayed because of non-working RepRap
  • Projects
    • Big event on Wednesday - UAV and Quadcopter
    • Possibly getting access to the IDEAs lab for a few ICRS members - Oskar
  • Christmas Dinner
    • Ioannis to organise
  • Asset Tracking System
    • RFID working
    • We have a barcode scanner
    • We need a whole system with databases and logging
    • Link it to our membership, so that it becomes more attractive
    • We need some people to develop this
  • There's a need to recruit more young people soon
    • Have a wiki page dedicated to positions within the society which are available
    • Meet up every now and again, with drinks/pizza, and try to recruit more young members
  • Regular weekly emails
    • Ioannis to start sending newsletters
    • Need to design some quick and easy process to get things included in the weekly email
    • Newsletters must be clear and have the sponsor's logos
  • Do not hack stickers
    • Oskar to design
    • Cable stickers also need making

1st November 2011, 12:00 noon

Agenda

  • Megabyte Talks
  • Robotics Course
  • Projects
  • Eurobot
  • Sponsorship
  • T shirts

Summary

  • Megabyte Talks
    • IC catering
    • All is going to plan
  • Robotics Course
    • Don't know where the mbeds are, won't be disastrous if they don't come but very annoying
    • All going nicely but we next year we need to remove competitions in first 2 sessions.
    • Hopefully other sessions will go well and there should be time for competition as less technically demanding
  • Projects
    • Oscar trying to get access to ESA super GPS
  • Eurobot
    • Have ordered materials for maze but they haven't come yet
    • Planning to start mechanical construction soon
    • About 6 core team members
      • Plan to each run a small team for specific tasks
      • Small teams of about 3 people?
      • Each leader to organize their own team, contact them if you want it.
  • Sponsorship
    • Hopefully some more money will arrive for PCB and ardino courses
    • Trying to get some more Farnell sponsorship for second PCB course, mostly in components
    • How much do we have in Farnell budget?
  • T shirts
    • Need to get T shirts ordered soon
    • Send email to all payed members asking for sizes?
  • Website
    • Copy created and setup on Union servers
    • Possibly a day where we can't edit the wiki (current edits will be copied across before the switch)
    • Not ready yet, can't seem to edit on union servers

21st October 2011, 12:15pm

Agenda

  • Megabyte Talks
    • Volunteers (of varying committments)
    • Catering form filling and signature
  • Robotics Course
    • mbeds
  • Projects
  • Eurobot
  • Sponsorship
  • T shirts

8 October 2011, 12:15pm

Agenda

  • Google Groups or Mailman
  • Robotics society space
  • Purchasing and budget approval process
  • Committee Mailing List
  • Demand for the robotics course
  • Expenses
  • Eurobot Report
  • Megabyte Talks Report
  • AOB

22 June 2011

  • robotics core activity but open to other techy/hacky projects
  • hack afternoon
  • Take UK out
  • Industry covered by bp 2?
  • X% of committee undergrad?
  • members get a t-shirt, workshops, ordering, wiki editting
  • spending authorization
  • monthly/3 times per term
  • minimise order latency
  • icrobotics.co.uk email addresses
  • Tom as General Officer