Increasing UK Eurobot Participation
From Imperial College Robotics Society
A page for anything which might encourage and help more teams from the UK enter Eurobot.
Ideas to help get students started
- Encourage industry to sponsor UK teams to make a robot
- Get senior staff at Imperial to encourage their counterparts at other universities - should help with getting departments on board.
- Invite teams to Imperial before the competition to do testing on the arena (encourage the same openness in other universities that manage to build an arena)
- Provide technical help if at all needed
- Middlesex University - On past form, they can be relied upon to field up to 10 teams!
- Queen Mary's University - I have been told there are people there interested in starting a team --Harry-admin 15:54, 15 April 2011 (UTC)
- Herriot-Watt University, Scotland - It looks like they have a robotics society there too! - http://www.robotsoc.co.uk/about.php
- Plymouth University - Facebook group for Plymouth University Robotics Society - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135373497683
- Reading University - They have a Robotics course and an Artificial Intelligence/Cybernetics course with enthusiastic students whom we've met on a couple of occasions before
- King's College University - Tried setting up a robotics society a couple of years ago but it seems like they failed. The president is now apparently doing an MSc in Imperial - His name is Max Allan
- Southampton University - Here's a news article about an undergrad at Southampton who's probably still there - http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/about/news/3524 - Maybe worth contacting him about this. These people might also know some students interested in making a team - https://www.studentrobotics.org/about/contactus
- Warwick University - Have recently been successful in Robocup Rescue - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/mediacentre/wmgnews/warwick_students_take/ - Maybe there are people at Warwick who want to enter Eurobot. It seems Eurobot has more of an emphasis on autonomy and AI than RoboCup Rescue.
- Sussex University - Apparently they have a hacking society - http://sussexstudent.com/hackus
- Manchester University - Ultimate Programming Society - http://www.man-up.appspot.com/
- Cambridge University - Computers and Technology Society - http://www.srcf.ucam.org/cucats/home/
- Brunel University - Engineering Society - http://www.brunelstudents.com/equate
- Bath University - Electronic and Mechanical Engineering Society - http://www.beames.eu/about/
- Birmingham University - Computer Science Society - http://www.cs-society.co.uk/site/index.php
- Sheffield University - Programming Society - http://programmingsociety.union.shef.ac.uk/
- Durham University - Engineering Society - http://dues.wikispaces.com/ - Computing Society - http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/
- Liverpool University - Engineers' Student Society - http://www.lgos.org/less